Piddington

Back Home Up Next

 

There is a long history of manís settlement in this area, at least from the times of the romanís, for at Preston Wood was discovered a handsome tessellated pavement in the ruins of a roman dwelling.

In more recent times Piddington is proud of its connections with William Carey, one of the County's most famous sons, who was married at the village church in 1781.  William was the founder of the Baptist Missionary Society, and spent the greater part of his life in India, where he died in 1834.  He was an immensely talented linguist who translated the bible into six languages.

The Parish Church, which stands in a commanding position with extensive views, is well worth a visit.  The bare stone walls and wooden floor and roof exude a warm & friendly atmosphere.  An unusual and beautiful feature is the vestry curtain, finely embroidered by ladies of the village, to the design of Mrs Wright; it took 10 years to complete.

The village, itself, which is about 5 miles from Northampton, and just north of Salcey Forest, is a happy mixture of old cottages and newer developments centred around the excellent pub The Spread Eagle.

 

Useful Information:

Spread Eagle Pub: Telephone 01604 870053, email: spreadeagle@piddingtonvillage.com