Horton

Back Home Up Next

 

This has always been a small village and in Saxon times would have been surrounded by the great forests of Salcey and Yardley.  In the late 11th Century Judith, the niece of William the 1st, owned it.  The few old cottages and farms, have been joined in recent times by modern housing. These have, in the main, been built in the grounds of the old park, once the site of a palatial mansion. Now sadly demolished.

This great house was the home of several famous families, including the Gunnings, the Montagus & Catherine Parr, the lucky widow of Henry 8th.

The parish church of St Mary Magdelene stands serenely at the edge of the park.

The renowned 'The New French Partridge' restaurant at the southern end of the village was once known as the Gunning Arms and in 1849 was described as a large commodious inn.

 

Useful Information:

Restaurant: The New French Partridge, Horton, NN7 2AP.
Telephone: 01604 870033, fax: 01604 870032
Web:  www.newfrenchpartridge.co.uk