Cogenhoe

Back Home Up Next

 

Situated on high ground overlooking the Nene Valley, Cogenhoe (pronounced Cookno) has been transformed by housing development in the last 50 years.  The population at the time of the first census in 1801 was 184, mainly centred in the area of the Church, the green and Mill Lane.  This part of the village still retains some of the fine old cottages and farmhouses some dating from the 17th Century.

The Mill on the river Nene is now the site of a popular boat marina and caravan park.  On the outskirts of the village, evidence of iron ore mining during the 19th Century can still be seen, and the boot & shoe industry was present here until the 1940ís.  The well-known local coach firm of Yorks originated and is still based here.

Station Road once the site of extensive orchards, which have now been turned into housing estates, leads to Billing Station House, all that remains of the now defunct Northampton to Peterborough railway line.

Cogenhoe, as befits a large village, still retains its school, shop, working menís club, Royal Oak Pub, Chapel & Medieval church of St Peter.  There are numerous village organisations, including thriving football & cricket clubs.