Ashton

Back Home Up Next

 

The village name has been variously spelled over the centuries.  At the time of Domesday it was Asce, so it seems likely that it derived from the Saxon word asce (ashtree) and tun (farmstead).

For over 150 years the railway has dominated Ashton, for the Victorian builders of the old L.M.S. main line effectively cut the village in two. The visitor will be very conscious of the passing of regular express trains, although locals are probably immune to the noisome roar.

The village map, up until 1950 had changed very little in over 200 years, and although, as with most parishes, there has been recent development, it is still essentially a small village.  The hub of Ashton remains the church, the manor house & farm and the Old Crown Inn, now newly re-furbished.

The Manor House, whose origins are somewhat uncertain, appears to have had a very chequered history.  In early times it was surrounded by a broad deep moat, and has been variously a manor house, then deserted, before conversion to a farmhouse, and for a time it was converted into 4 separate cottages.

In 1953 the Ashton Women’s Institute produced a scrapbook, which provides a vivid and delightful vignette of village life in Ashton through the ages.

 

Useful Information:

Visit Ashton Village's excellent website on www.ashtonvillage.co.uk/ for details of accommodation and refreshments.